The Lagos State Police Command has arrested 10 suspects allegedly linked to the repeated vandalism and theft of public infrastructure on the newly constructed Lagos Coastal Road, as authorities revealed that no fewer than 1,800 manhole covers have been stolen from the superhighway between January and August 2026.
The Commissioner of Police, Fatai Tijani, disclosed this on Wednesday during a press briefing and parade of the suspects at the command headquarters in Ikeja. He said the suspects were arrested on August 17 following intelligence gathered during ongoing investigations into the destruction of infrastructure along the road.
According to the police chief, vandalised iron materials were recovered during the operation, while preliminary investigations linked the suspects to the incessant vandalism of facilities on the Coastal Road. He added that the suspects had made statements regarding their alleged involvement in the offences.
The suspects were identified as Courage Ogbemudiah, 19; Michael Janes, 25; Muhammed Mustapha, 25; Muyideen Ola, 32; Emmanuel James, 18; Tadious Nanius, 28; Anthony Nucase, 23; Makinde Muize, 30; Bolaji Raji, 30; and Waliu Kabiru, 28.
Tijani said the command was working with relevant authorities to ensure that those responsible for the continued destruction and theft of public infrastructure were identified and brought to justice. He stressed that the police would sustain efforts to protect critical government assets across the state.
In a related development, the police also arrested a 28-year-old man, Chidiebere Ochiri, for allegedly vandalising and stealing government-installed CCTV camera cables, iron materials and other infrastructure on the Third Mainland Bridge.
The CP said the suspect allegedly confessed during interrogation to removing cables connecting CCTV cameras and stealing iron installations along the bridge and its environs. According to Tijani, Ochiri claimed he had been involved in the activity for several months and usually sold the stolen copper wires to scavengers and scrap dealers for about N12,000 per kilogramme.
“One quantity of copper wire was recovered as an exhibit,” the police commissioner said, adding that investigations were ongoing to apprehend the suspect’s alleged accomplice.
Meanwhile, the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Olufemi Dare, who represented the Minister of Works and Housing, Dave Umahi, expressed concern over the extent of damage recorded on the Lagos Coastal Road project.
Dare disclosed that at least 1,800 manhole covers had been stolen from the superhighway between January and August 2026. He explained that the covers were part of the underground drainage system constructed along the road and that vandals often broke the concrete structures to remove the reinforcing iron embedded inside them.
He also revealed that about 1,000 metres, equivalent to one kilometre, of the clear-view fence installed on both sides of the road had been removed by vandals. The iron fences were designed to separate the highway from surrounding communities and protect the road infrastructure.
Dare said the scale of the destruction was alarming, particularly considering the huge public investment committed to the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway project. He said authorities would not allow criminal elements to undermine infrastructure built with public funds.
The Federal Controller commended the Lagos State Police Command for deploying personnel and vehicles to secure the road, noting that police officers were now maintaining surveillance along the corridor day and night.
He added that the Federal Government and security agencies would continue to strengthen collaboration to arrest and prosecute those responsible for vandalising public infrastructure, warning that efforts to protect the multi-trillion-naira road project would not be compromised.

