Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde has confirmed that seven teachers were abducted during the recent attack on schools in the Oriire area of the state, while authorities are still working to determine the exact number of missing pupils.
Makinde disclosed this on Sunday while briefing journalists on the security situation following the invasion of schools by suspected gunmen.
The governor had earlier met with service commanders and heads of security agencies to receive updates on the incident and ongoing rescue efforts.
According to him, an Islamic Studies teacher was killed during the attack, while security operatives had already made arrests in connection with the incident.
Makinde said six suspects were apprehended within the affected community, while three additional persons of interest had also been taken into custody as investigations continued.
The governor linked the attack to the movement of armed groups displaced by military operations against terrorists and bandits in other parts of the country.
“With the pressure on the terrorists and the bandits in the North-West, they will keep moving southward,” he said.
Makinde explained that he had been engaging with authorities in neighbouring states over what he described as an emerging security threat, warning that criminal groups fleeing conflict zones could target areas with weaker security structures.
He stressed the need for greater collaboration among states and security agencies to prevent the spread of insecurity and strengthen protection for vulnerable communities.

