A suspect who allegedly opened fire at a security checkpoint near the White House has been killed following an exchange of gunfire with members of the U.S. Secret Service, authorities confirmed.
The suspect has been identified by multiple U.S. media reports as Nasire Best, a 21-year-old man who was reportedly known to security agencies and had prior interactions with law enforcement. Reports indicated that he had a documented history of mental health-related incidents and had previously been ordered to stay away from the White House area.
The shooting occurred on Saturday evening near a Secret Service security checkpoint close to the White House, triggering an immediate security response and a temporary lockdown of the area.
Authorities said the suspect allegedly produced a weapon and opened fire before officers returned fire. He was transported to a hospital where he later died from his injuries.
Meanwhile, President Donald Trump has praised the actions of security personnel, thanking officers for what he described as their swift and professional response to the incident. Reports said the president was inside the White House at the time and was not harmed.
According to authorities, investigations remain ongoing, while roads surrounding the White House are expected to remain under security restrictions as officials continue to examine the circumstances surrounding the attack. (KSL)

