The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has dismissed allegations that it refused the former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai access to basic necessities and his family while in custody. The anti-graft agency says that it operates strictly within Nigerian law and standard institutional protocols, dismissing the accusations as misleading narratives.
The controversy began after El-Rufai’s son, Mohammed Bello, a federal lawmaker, said on social media that the ICPC violated a court order granting his father unrestricted access to his family and medical team. Bello highlighted two incidents on Friday, May 15, 2026.
First, he alleged that El-Rufai’s personal doctor was turned away at 3:00 p.m. because the officers insisted on direct approval from the ICPC chairman. Second, he claimed that El-Rufai’s wife, Aichatou, was barred from delivering her husband’s dinner at around 7:00 p.m.
In response, the ICPC clarified that its standard Access Control Protocol restricts all visitor entries between 9:00 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. Which is a standing policy that applies to all detainees.
The commission also said that official visitor log proved that one of El-Rufai’s wives and housemaid had earlier delivered food to him. Also, pointed out that the woman in the widely circulated video admitted to arriving after closing hour, and had earlier brought him breakfast and lunch, which contradict the claims that he was denied food.
Regarding the medical restrictions, the ICPC explained that officers only asked the doctor for proper identification, which is a standard procedure for a high-profile detainee.
Criticizing the family for bringing media representatives to the facility outside visiting hours, the ICPC stated it will not be swayed by dramatized media accounts aimed at bypassing lawful security measures.

